View Single Post
Old 08-02-2004, 11:54 AM
MB, love..hate..love..

Kestas: You should know that your posts were instrumental in assisting me with this project. Much appreciated.
I actually had a hell of a time with the parts. I went to our local bearing supply and he looked everything up form his book, but nothing listed that he gave me fit when I pulled the old bearing/seals out (Sat. morning, everything closed until Monday of course, except the Napa store, and he looked them up too, also wrong parts). When I went back with the old bearings, no problem to get the right ones from the Timkin numbers, but the seals are really oddball. The one I removed was only 3 years old, and in perfect shape. I took it out using Stevebfl's described method, rather than ruin it with a punch & hammer. It had to go back in since there was no time to wait and I was due for a roadtrip 2 days after.
I looked everywhere for Mobil 1, but it's not available locally, so I used the product mentioned.
I saw no evidence whatsoever on the wheel I did that the seal was defective though. No grease anywhere around the backing plate, disk, or hub assembly. Not so sure of the left side though, as the slime on the outside of the wheel had to come from somewhere. I'm going to try and order seals first before I break it down.