View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 11:17 PM

Question Problem starting when at operating temperature

Hi All,

I've been in search of a solution to an intermitent problem starting my 1990 300D 2.5 Turbo for some time now. The problem I am experiencing goes something like this:

When I've been driving and am up to operating temperature, and it is above say 80 deg outside, and I shut down and sit for anytime over say five miniutes, I have trouble starting. Never have a problem staring cold or in moderate heat, even at operating temperature. It acts as though the fuel system is air bound or priming or starving. It can take anywhere from a few seconds of turning over (more than normal) to turning over for up to a minute as done when the fuel filters are changed. The problem seems to be worsening as over the last couple of days I've found it very difficult to get started again (IE wait for the car to cool and prime it a few times).

The fuel filters have been changed w/i the last 3000 miles, I do not see any fuel leaks, I do not see any air visible in the clear fuel lines adjacent to the fuel pump when running, the injectors are new/rebuilts (tested before installed).

I've read of others having trouble starting, although w/ different particulars, changing the o-rings in the fuel system (fuel delivery valve seals). I am inclined to change these out in search of a solution but am not confident they are the fix. It would seem to me that if I had a leak in the system by way of the o-rings I would see fuel leaking. Also, I have not checked the prefilter in the tank and feel that may also be worthy of inspection/cleaning. Again, not confident has any bearing on whats happening.

If anyone has any ideas for trouble shooting this problem or recomendations to solve it I would greatly apreciate the input.