View Single Post
Old 08-13-2004, 03:42 PM

under the hood fuel leak 300d

well, i havent been to the site since June and it looks like the search feature has changed a bit. even so, i can't get it to work properly, so i couldn't check the old posts for my question.
i have a 1987 300d turbo in pretty decent shape. usually runs fine, but a friend who was borrowing the car started having trouble on her 2 hour drive back to my place. it was "smelling funny" and driving sluggish. when she got it to my house, we popped the hood, and the funny smell was diesel gas spraying from somewhere in the vicinity of the vacuum hoses and the fuel lines. it was so wet under there, i couldnt spot the source of the leak, plus i had to get back to work, so i couldnt get too funny smelling myself. but poking around we also found one of the vacuum (or fuel) hoses totally disconnected and stuck between engine parts. lucky we didnt lose it. anyway, i can't tell where it is supposed to go just yet, or if it is even the cause of the leak. it is a 10" or so plastic tube, like a hard soda straw that has a rubber boot on the end. so my questions are: do some of these hard plastic tubes act as fuel lines, or are they all vacumm lines? are there many places where the fuel is going in and out? because that is where my obvious places for leaks might occur. and last, is there any link anyone can give me with a fuel hose/vacuum hose diagram for this model? maybe i can search down the missing tube if i had a picture.
any help on this would be appreciated. and again , i am sorry if this is available in an old post, but the search isnt working right today.
thanks ya'll.