View Single Post
Old 08-20-2004, 12:37 AM

just a thought

i've read the postings but i haven't seen anything about blocking, black high lighting, flat boarding, DA, spounge sanding and 400 grit well that might be ok for rough sanding but i'd start thinking finish sanding in the 600 to a 1000 and then i'd be using Z Chrome to hide the sanding imperfections. i know a guy that uses a lambs wool bonnet for his finishing sanding. But it's hard to find a goof in his work.

some people will disagree with me but a perfect paint job is 90% prep and 10% paint. if the prep sucks well the finish will show all. and as for priming if you don't use the type and the quality that the body shop uses let it go. you aren't going to get a 2k$ job out of a 2.99$ can of who knows who shelf primer.

remember once you start laying on paint your fully commited to the prep work because it's too late now to wish you had taken the extra hour to sand just a bit more. ever been driving down the street and a super color car passes you and from where you are you say nice car. then a second later and he's now past you and you can see down the car's side and it looks like whoppi do's on a desert road. it's all in the prep because that guy didn't block, flat board or dust the surface with a little black paint. so he couldn't see how un-flat the surface was.

oh and your gun to spray with plan on a minimum of 250$. and you'll need a compressor that can give you a minimum of 13 to 16 cfm at 40psi to keep up with the gun. now those 49.99 autozone, parts america guns i wouldn't use to spray weed killer. you need an hvlp, 4 - 8 psi nozzle pressure and a 1.1 or maybe a 1.3 needle. if you don't you'll have that clear coat all over the place. it will be bouncing off the paint and into the air going where? everywhere you didn't want. and just one more tip. if your tape isn't blue or greenish when you pull back the tape and masking you'll be leaving a lot of work to still do cleaning off the glue from the cheap masking tape. spend the 3 to 4 bucks a roll you'll be glad you did.

all in all i wish you good luck. this job can be done at home and in your garage because i can do it in my machine shop.

go to www.spraygundepot.com they have the guns, video and they can talk you through it.

and just another thought when you get ready to bolt up the stuff underneath like inner fenders and such either use a body under carriage sealer or at least black silicone where the bolts go thru because there will be exposed metal which may rust up so better to cut it off to begin with.

please excuse me if i have sounded negative. i'm not. i just know that i want things perfect when i do them. nothing bums me out worst than having to go back and try to fix something that could have been cured from the beginning with a little patience.

good luck with that project!!

1972 350sl Red/Blk 117k
1988 420sel charcoal/Blk 140k
1987 420sel gold/tan 128k
See My Cars at:http://mysite.verizon.net/res0aytj/index.html

Pound it to fit then Paint it to match!

There is only First Place and Varying degrees of last!

Old age and deceit will overcome Youth and Enthusiasm every time!

Putting the square peg in the round hole is not hard... IF you do it fast enough!

Old enough to know better but stupid enough to do it anyway!