View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 08:32 AM
Big Black V12

Check out Jim F's webpage mcollinstn. He has a S500 coupe, and has created a very comprehensive webpage. I attached a link to one of his pages where he sells a listing of codes, and what they mean. There is also a link to info on how to build an inexpensive code reader.

http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_S500.html

Code reader link...

http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_X11.html

I built one of these and ordered his manual. I was able to pull a lot of codes with this setup, but not all codes. It works for all non-digital circuits. There are some digital circuits (the SRS system is one of them) where this code reader will not work. But it may work for the Check Engine systems. He could verify this.

The wiring harness issue is a problem with many Benzes. This is the story in a nut shell, learned from reading the numerous posts on this and other forums. MB wants us to believe that they are environmentally oriented, and developed a wire insulation that breaks down more easily for recycling / land-fill reasons. Unfortunately, it worked too well, and can start to degrade in the car. High under-hood temps seem to accelerate the problem. The insulation actually starts cracking and flaking off, which is a bad thing when wires run parallel to each other. MB owners have been getting all sorts of goofy problems, and many of them are traced back to this insulation issue. I don't know if this is what's causing your AC problem. The injector harness is also affected by this. Once the wires touch in this harness, you can get injector misfires that will really cause problems. I have a V12, so I'm not sure where your injector harness is. Mine runs right down the middle of the intake manifolds. Pop the cover off, and take a look at the wires. Twist and bend them to see if the insulation is intact. I've read that some people saw completely bare and corroded wires once they started looking. The harness can be purchased, and you can install it yourself if you're handy. I've even read of an owner who simply replaced each wire one at a time to make his own harness, and with success! Do a search on this subject, and you will find lots of info.

"Speed is just a question of money...how fast you wanna go?"

LONG LIVE THE W140!
Visit my Web Page at www.v12uberalles.com