View Single Post
Old 08-25-2004, 04:33 PM

WOW, did this bring me back!! My earliest memory comes from when I was about 4 or so in the early 50's. I lived in NYC then and was out with my mom on Broadway or 5th or whatever. She used to go down to Manhattan a lot with me and my sister (we actually lived in the projects in Brooklyn). We were in front of some hotel when this HUGE BLACK car pulled up and the longest legged, prettiest, wealthiest woman I've ever seen got out of the car when the chauffer opened the door. To the best of my memory, the car had to be an Adenauer, still to me the most elegant MB ever built. That car, that sensing of unbridaled privilege and wealth never really left my memory and influenced my attraction to "different" types of cars my whole life. I never went through the muscle car phase in my youth. While some of my friends were driving around in 6000 HP GTOs, Z28's and 6-Pack hemis, I drove and old slow 180D ponton and and even stranger car, a Peugeot 403. Yeah, it was this big black Adenauer that made me always want nice old MBs.