View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 08:15 AM
Just fix it

Find a busy, well run shop where you want to work. Put in an application and show up at opening time every morning with donuts for two weeks straight. Use your imagination to modify the above approach as necessary. Repeat as necessary. Be willing to take what is offered, don't expect much until you prove yourself. If you can't pass a drug screen don't bother to apply. Valid driver license is necessary, CDL is a plus. You only get one chance to make a first impression, if you look like a freak you are swimming upstream.

If you are willing to work hard and learn you don't need certifications to get your first job. Work hard means show up on time and stay busy until the job is finished. Learn means do your own research and homework. Ask before you screw-up anything. Comebacks are far too costly today and a couple can get you canned.

The industry is having a hard time recruiting young people. The average age of an automobile mechanic is climbing. If you have car skills and people skills you can take your choice of jobs.

The skills you learn diagnosing mechanical problems are basically the same as you use diagnosing other problems. I got my first mechanical job in a motorcycle shop at age 14 or 15. Went on to college for a degree in computer science and found my diagnostic skills much more developed than those of my classmates.

Last edited by TwitchKitty; 08-27-2004 at 08:37 AM.