View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 08:24 PM

Steve -

Didn't you post the air gap question in a separate thread? I think I answered there. Either that or I'm hallucinating again. Wouldn't be the first time.

Anywho, long and short is no, jumping the Klima and having the compressor engage is no guarantee it'll work with a good Klima in place. Mine worked fine with an ice cube relay, but would cutout with a Klima. Check the air gap and I bet you'll find it to be 0.8-0.9mm. That's flaky territory - the compressor is capable of working OK, but there's enough clutch slip to trigger the Klima speed comparator circuit.

Setting the air gap is pretty easy. Remove the 10mm nut which retains the front plate of the compressor. You need a special puller to remove the plate. It's nothing fancy, most McParts stores will rent/lend you one - I bought mine for ~$20. Space may be tight between the clutch plate and the radiator. With the clutch plate removed, you'll find one, or two, or maybe three small washers on the compressor shaft. These are spacers. Try removing one or two of them to see which result gets you closest to 0.50mm. Don't go below 0.35mm - that's minimum spec. If you wan to be really obsessive about it, your local auto a/c place will sell a kit with a variety a spacer rings so you can set it just right.

Assuming you can get the clutch plate off the front of the compressor without pulling the radiator it's a 15 minute job.

Good luck,

- JimY