View Single Post
Old 08-29-2004, 03:46 PM

Just did the GM TEC thing (Diesel info near the end.)

Just did a search & found this four year old post. It fit my experience so I thought I'd resurrect it. I have an '87 260E with 214,000 on the clock. The PCV line was sludged & it was blowing a bit of oil into the aircleaner through the breather hose. That, & it needed some gas pedal to start; every time, every condition. Other than that, it's wonderful & tight all around.

This stuff is advertised for gas & diesel engines. They say it can be used three ways: though a vacuum line, pour into the throttle or put in the oil or the fuel tank. Hmmm that's four. Anyway, I scraped gunk out of the PCV opening in the manifold, started the engine & dripped some in the PCV hole. It disappeared, so I put a funnel in the hose and let about 2 oz. go through. The idle increased a little while this was happening. OK. So far, so good.

The engine was idling fine, so I had to see if a little TEC on the rings would "unstick" them or something & maybe reduce the blowby that was getting into the air cleaner. As I worked the throttle linkeage by hand to increase RPM, I slowly poured some TEC in. At first the idle increased, then started to bog a little. Jazz the throttle & "drown" the engine in TEC until it stalled. Went next door to goo-goo over their new baby & get greasy fingerprintson her (they loved that). Ten minutes later, I started it up & whoa baby, the smoke. It reminded me of the old mosquito sprayer trucks in the 60's. This smelled better though. Then things went rapidly downhill.

The engine would only run at high RPM, 3000 +. Forget idle. I went through a dozen things to look at & nothing helped. I "knew" the ignition was OK because all the high voltage goodies were relatively new and I'd just cleaner the plugs a week ago. Finally pulled the plugs & they were wet with oil & TEC (smell). Recleaned the plugs and it started right up & idles very nicely. I've put twenty or so miles on it since & it's stilll smooth. I'll have to look inside the air cleaner for oil traces to see if it did what I'd hoped it would. $7 for a can of magic beats a ring job.

Oh yes, for the diesel question. The can says it can clean injectors, but doesn't mention pre-combustion chambers. It says to use a 50% mix with fuel in an injector cleaning machine or to "fill the diesel fuel filter" with TEC to cleaninjectors real fast. The stuff does burn in a gas engine. It also says it prevents fuel gelling down to -60F. The words on the can make it sound like the second coming.

Best of luck,