View Single Post
Old 08-29-2004, 10:01 PM
wielder of thor's hammer

diagnosing electric fan problem on 87 300e

The electric, or auxiliary fan on my 300e does not come on, even when the temperature gauge gets all the way up to 115 celsius. I hooked the fan directly up to the battery, and it works. I did an extensive search on this subject, but I am still a bit confused as to the location of the temp. sensor that engages this fan. There is one green sensor right next to the air cleaner, a little past the middle of the head, with male pin ends sticking out of it. The two pins that are right next to each other on the sensor measure -1 on an ohmmeter when the temp. is at 110 C, and 1 when cold. When I pull the two corresponding wires off this sensor and connect them, I here clicking coming from the relays behind the fuse box. I switched two relays with identical part #'s, but the fan did not come on.

The other possible temp. sensor is located towards the back of the head. It is also green, but has two female pin ends, with the male on the wires that connect to it. This temp. sensor measures .3 when engine is at 110 C, and,of course, 1 when cold. I connected the two male ends that come off these wires with another piece of wire, but alas, the fan still did not come on.

My questions are:

1. Which sensor is for the fan?
2. Shouldn't the sensor closer to the back of the head measure .00 ohms when the engine is at 110 C?
3. Considering the fact that bypassing both these sensors still did not make the fan come on, where should I look next? (although the sensors might very well be faulty, too)
4. My A/C does not work because of a lack of freon. I know that this stops the slower A/C controlled fan speed from engaging, but is it possible that it could stop the higher, engine cooling, fan speed as well? Or are they completely separate circuits?

Thank you very much for any and all replies.

p.s. #7 fuse is good.