View Single Post
Old 08-30-2004, 03:54 AM

Warning on hood pad job

I do not recomend using 3m Super Weatherstrip Advisive tube glue (yellow death), part number 051135-08001. I spent six hours prepping my hood; spraying, chiseling, spraying, chiseling, spraying, chiseling and finally cleaning. That was the worst job I've done yet on my 300sd. Worse than the expansion valve change that I did. After all that work it turns out that I made a very bad choice for adhesive. I emptied the tube evenly over the hood pad and then tried to spread it into a light layer as per the directions. The glue began to get firm and I was not able to spread it only several minutes after it was first applied. I worked as fast as I could to get full coverage around the edge. I then applied the pad with the help of another person. It did not stick worth a damn. I worked for 20 minutes trying to hold the pad to the hood. There just wasn't any holding power in the glue. I'd guess that about 30% of the pad is loose.

It seems to me the glue just dries too fast for this job. If you can get the glue on the surface and the hood pad up within a couple of minutes you might be ok. Also the foam is too porous for this type of glue. I don't think it's designed for use on foam. Please save yourself this frustration and use the proper part for this job, 3m Super Weather Advisive Spray. You can get it at Napa for around 14 or 15 dollars. Don't be a cheap ass like me and try to save 10 dollars. Spend the money and do the job right the first time. Wish me luck with my floppy hood pad.