View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jld
smooth shifting transmition ???? OK, I guess I have one other mechanical problem. I do get a jolt after 2k on the tach and then a shift that is a little rough. I'm assuming the first jolt is the turbo kicking in. The shifting is a lttle rough though....
'85 300D - Drive for 2 years with head snapping back at each shift. Non MB mechanic played with it for years (with my money) trying to find problem. Started going to local (great) indy mechanic who specialized in MB. Found Vacuum leak right away, fixed, car shifted like new. Faster too. Not sure why that was but the car is now peppy. :p

'87 300SDL - Shifts were getting progressively harsher. Also had HVAC issue with vent air. AC came 95% out of the defroster. After researching this site was convinced of vacuum issues. Same indy found a bad connector and replaced it. Smooth shifting and proper hvac for 1 day and then back to same. Took it back and they simply removed a valve or restrictor that they thought was clogged. Shifting smooth and hvac perfect since. No other ill effects.

Seems to me 70% of problems with these cars are vacuum related.