View Single Post
Old 09-01-2004, 08:50 PM

rust from inside: how to prevent

When I think I am done with work on my car and want to take a rest, I find something. Today I found tiny paint bubble near the black rubber on the outside of driver's door. The rubber is between the window and metal window frame when the window is closed. I opened the window and lifted the rubber. I saw rust there. About finger nail size.

I am sick and tired of this kind of rust. Last fall, I found several spots of rust on top of the driver's door under rubber sponge - I broke a little bit of metal when I was scraping rust-. I found another rust area near sunroof rubber (on the roof, not the sunroof panel.), rear of the sunroof panel. I treated with POR-15. One month ago, I found another rust area near sunroof rubber, front of the sunroof panel. I treated with RustBullet. Today, near rubber on driver's door.

How can I prevent such rust?

I have no money to have every rubber removed from my car body for rust inspection and repair.

Will rustproofing solve this problem?

Which rustproof is good for MB? I asked a service advisor at dealer but he does not know what I mean by rustproof. He told me about Simonizing - a kind of wax on outside surface only -. I called a local bodyshop and heard that people do not do rustproof anymore.
MB owner's manual is against aftermarket rustproof, but there is a page recommending rustproof on MB service CD. Anyway, I want aftermarket rustproof because dealers do not offer it.

Last edited by ktlimq; 09-01-2004 at 08:56 PM.