View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 01:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesShop
Great list of cars but I was more thinking along the lines of how many more do you think you will buy in the future. I know that it will be hard to know but you can always guess.
For example: I think I will need several cars each with the following purpose, a daily driver, sports (fun) car, truck/SUV, and a family/sedan/mini van. Although you could have 1 car that will function for more than 1 purpose.

I average about 20,000 miles per year. Multiply this by how many years I have left on this planet and I will be driving about 880,000 miles more.
I drive mostly highway miles and am pretty easy on cars. I think I can drive a car at least 100,000 miles conservatively and even more if I go diesel.
Since I only have 1 car at this time, I will be buying about 8 more cars in the future.

The reason I ask this is as I get older I realize that money will be better spend on appreciating assets. I guess I am getting tired of being marketed to and manipulated into buying things every few years when we don't have to.

I know many of you have the ability to just buy anything new but I think you get more satisfaction from saving each dollar for something more worth while than a car.
Buy yourself a nice older SL or a later model 500SL, drive it only on weekends when the sun is shining. Buy yourself a new Toyota Camry and make it your daily driver. Buy a new or lightly used Honda mini-van for wifie. If you don't wreck them, you won't need to worry about buying cars for a long time.