View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmercedes
That's very funny. I needed that this morning. Thanks!

I had always wondered why folks in Hurricane prone areas didn't build thier homes with truly sturdy stuff, maybe concrete or the like. I see these piles of rubble consisting of stick-frame 2x4 construction with drywall. Maybe something different would work?

In the far north, we lived in a place that could get 200km/h (125mph) winds in the winter, and all the houses had huge steel cables as tie downs with anchors driven into the permafrost and lexan windows.
I am not a contractor, but I have often wondered why discrepencies exist in building codes. Payoff's is the obvious answer, at least having lived thru the mess that was hurricane andrew. Imagine house being sided with PARTICAL BOARD?

It is laugable that the older, more well built homes take it year after year, while newer ones are the ones that seem to fall apart.

All the homes constructed after hurricane Andrew are pretty sturdy. I have been to Belize, and I have never seen a POURED CONCRETE home give in to a hurricane.

THE problem lies in the fact that well built homes take longer and cost more to build.

Gottta go hang some wood......