View Single Post
Old 09-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Diesel Power

I am using Direcway. It is two way satellite, so there is no dialup upload. I am in much the same situation as you are with there being no alternatives. As for the quality of service, my neighbour and I have had more downtime due to modem problems than what I would normally tolerate from any ISP. We are both fed up with this service, and only continue to use it, as the alternative is to go back to dialup. With me, that means letting Sprint back into my house, and putting up with their "holier than though, and you must be an idiot" customer service. I'll put up with Direcway's outages before I'll give sprint another cent of my money.

One of my favorite "issues" with Direcway will be that my email works perfectly, but I cannot load a single site. This condition will exist when it happens, untill the modems are rebooted. Satellite latency will prevent you from doing any online real time gaming, so if you are into this, forget it.

When it works, it works great. However, they do have a long way to go to make this service a viable option where there is competition. The percentage of times that this system is experiencing some form of outage or problem, is still way too high.

I wouldn't recommend this service to anyone who has any other alternatives to receiving broadband internet.