View Single Post
Old 09-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Steve 300D

Exclamation Front end rebuilt and now alignment

Well being an 18 year old boy driving a 1984 Mercedes 300D with a very bad sagging front end, I decided to rebuilt it.

Lower ball joints, upper control arms, lower control arm bushings, idle arm, left and right tie rods, center drag link and steering damper. It drives much better, I also put on the new Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires.

So I go and get my alignment:

Left Front

Caster : Min: 8.3 Max: 9.3
Before alignment: 5.1, After: 5.1

Camber : Min: -0.2 Max: 0.2
Before alignment: 0.0, After: 0.0

Toe: Min: 1/16" Max: 1/8"
Before alignment: -13/32" After: 3/32"

Right Front

Caster : Min: 8.3 Max: 9.3
Before alignment: 6.0, After: 6.0

Camber : Min: -0.2 Max: 0.2
Before alignment: 0.3, After: 0.0

Toe: Min: 1/16" Max: 1/8"
Before alignment: -19/32" After: 3/32"

He said you could not adjust the rear, so no rear alignment was done. My car still pulls to the right it seems, and I still have just a little play in the steering wheel, which I believe to be the steering box. when I turn the wheel, it feels like it is more responsive turning the wheel CCW then CW.

I also asked him about Caster, he said you must have it off one degree on the right then the left or it will pull to the right, and he never made an adjustment. I thought the guide rods adjusted caster, maybe I'm wrong. I just want to know if there giving me the run around or what. The specs say one thing but the car feels like it could drive much straighter and steering better.

Thanks for your guys support and help with everything, without this site, my car would be in a junkyard I'm sure.

-Steve