View Single Post
Old 03-12-2001, 06:58 PM

Found this article on another group. The tool looks a bit pricey, but sounds well worth it.

W210 Spring Install ( The correct way )

After searching this and other discussion boards for 2001 W210 spring install instructions, I was surprised at how little everyone knew or was willing to tell. Several local shops and the local MB dealer all wanted 4+ hours labor to do the job. None would tell me how to do it myself or what tools would be needed. MB hotline told me they didn't even have a service manual available. ( I wonder what the MB techs use )

After some more digging, I found that with the proper tools all 4 springs could be replaced in less than one hour, in my garage, without even removing a single wheel.

The procedure below is my first hand experience, your mileage may vary. Since working with springs can be dangerous ( I read the replies ), get some knowledgeable help if you are unsure about any of the steps involved.

Here is a list of tools that are required:

1. Sir Tools Mercedes Coil Spring Compressor Kit
http://www.********.com/sirtools/mb/M0070.html
Or check with your local Matco distributor for a similar compressor by Klann Tools.

2. Impact Driver

3. Floor Jack ( 2 would be nice, a full lift would be better )

4. Jack stands

5. Metric Socket set

Here is the procedure:

FRONT:
1. Lift a front about 8-10" and turn it out.
2. Place jack stands under the lift pads.
3. Insert the shaft of the compressor through the hole in the lower control arm.
4. Attach the discs of the compressor to the shaft near the top and bottom.
5. Note about how far apart the discs are. You will need the same spacing when compressing the new spring.
6. Note the location of the lower end of the spring; the new spring must be lined up the same.
7. Using the impact driver, compress all coils between the discs. Pulse the trigger.
8. Pull the spring out.
9. Remove the spring pad from the spring.
10. Decompress the spring with the impact driver using a pulsing trigger.
11. Attach the compressor to the new spring, remembering the spacing on the original spring.
12. Using the impact driver, compress all coils between the discs. Pulse the trigger.
13. Place the spring pad on the new spring.
14. Install the new spring, remembering to line up the end of the spring.
15. Slowly decompress the spring, making sure it stays lined up where the original was.
16. Remove the spring compressor, lower the car.
17. Elapsed time for front 15 minutes.

REAR:
1. Lift rear wheels about 8-10".
2. Place jack stands under the lift pads.
3. Remove the plastic cover from the lower control arm.
4. Insert the shaft of the compressor through the hole in the lower control arm.
5. Attach the discs of the compressor to the shaft near the top and bottom.
6. Note about how far apart the discs are. You will need the same spacing when compressing the new spring.
7. Note the location of the lower end of the spring; the new spring must be lined up the same.
8. Using the impact driver, compress all coils between the discs. Pulse the trigger.
9. If you can pull the spring out, do it ( I couldn't ), then skip the next step.
9. Remove the single bolt on the inner end of the lower control arm.
The arm should fall a bit, now the spring will come out.
10. Remove the spring pad from the spring.
11. Decompress the spring with the impact driver using a pulsing trigger.
12. Attach the compressor to the new spring, remembering the spacing on the original spring.
13. Using the impact driver, compress all coils between the discs. Pulse the trigger.
14. Place the spring pad on the new spring.
15. Install the new spring, remembering to line up the end of the spring.
16. If you removed the lower control arm bolt, install it.
17. Slowly decompress the spring, making sure it stays lined up where the original was.
18. Remove the spring compressor.
19. Install the plastic control arm cover, lower the car.
20. Total time 45 minutes.