View Single Post
Old 09-21-2004, 05:04 PM
SL Owner

Question- Steering wheel removal and glove box

1) Question on getting the steering wheel off to get to the instrument cluster

I was going to pull-out the instrument cluster today. I took-off the Mercedes emblem on the wheel and, instead of finding a nut, I found what looked to be a torx-style nut. Surrounding that were screws holding-back what I think is the spring nut. I don't know if someone took the steering wheel off before me or Mercedes did this, but the torx nut looks like it might be a bit stripped. Very concerning, I have a feeling getting the wheel off may not be easy or something that I'll do unless I absolutely have to. Anyone take-off the wheel, do you know what kind of fitting that is in there, Torx, how many millimeters?

2) Question on glove box removal

I want to check a few things around the fuse box (overload relay, etc). It looks like I have to take-off the glove box. The glove box, in the front, has two plastic plugs on the top and the bottom. Anyone remove the glove box? If you pull the plugs out, does it just slide-out or is there more to it? I seemed to just pull-out the four plastic plugs and tugged a bit, noticed it still seemed to be in there. Didn't have time so I moved-on. Are there any bolts underneath the dash holding the glove box in?