View Single Post
Old 09-22-2004, 02:49 PM

Hot Starting Trouble- Duramax Connection

Greetings all. I just got back from getting my oil filter situation fixed- (see Filter Foibles thread)- now all set right- they did it with great finnesse! Anyway, I asked one of the mechanics if he knew why my car starts great on GP's when cold, but starts real hard when hot. He yells "hey Gary- gotta question for ya'"!! Out comes Gary- a grizzled old bearded mechanic who evidently was their Diesel expert. He promptly said he's seeing a lot of the same thing on the Dura-Max's, and the problem is actually the starter. So I said, well, listen to my starter (car was still warm)- I turned the key and it winged the engine over at least 10 times before it fired- starter sounded great to me, but Gary said- "I'd say it's not turning over fast enough- it fools a lot of people with Duramax's- put a new starter in and it fixes the problem". I find the theory at least intriguing. I'm not about to replace my starter right away, as I said above, if I floor the peddle whilst cranking, it will fire on third or fourth crank, which is good enough for now.

Anyway, I talked to Gary for awhile, while another guy was doing my filter- he was a "fount" of Diesel knowledge, having once worked for the Canadian National Railroad repair shop before they shut it down- then on to some trucking firms, now I think he's just working at this shop as a retirement hobby. They say talk's cheap, and he sure could talk- told me stories about back in the 50's when every Diesel engine coming into Canada had to be sold by one guy who had franchise rights on all makes except Detroits. He sure could spin the yarn, but I think I'd trust him with my Injector Pump if ever needed.

Any other opinions about slow starters???

Dave