View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 07:14 AM

Have read this thread with interest...

I guess I could say that technically, I fall into the "20-30 mpg" category. I drive my 1996 S500 W140 Coupe to work every day... its a 68 mile trip one way... and because of the Washington DC traffic, a fair part of it is stop and go. Bottom line: I average 4.5 hours a day sitting in my MB.
Have watched my mileage over the last year.... its consistantly just a hair over 20 mpg doing this daily commute. On a recent long road trip at 65-70 mph, I got 23 or so ...
I think there is a difference in the "pre" and "post" 1996 mileage numbers because of the switch in engine/trans/fuel injection.

Discussion on the S600 is interesting... but, would caution anyone wanting to go that way to call their insurance company. Many insurance companies will not insure a V12 of any type... at least that was my experience with my Jag.

As far as the original post is concerned.. one only has to drive both a W220 and a W140 to understand they are very different cars. Much is personal preference. To some, the W140 feels "too big".

Just my 2 cents.

1996 S500 W140 Coupe