View Single Post
Old 09-26-2004, 01:03 PM

I'm not sure what caused it. Perhaps it was a shoddy repacking at some point I don't know. I got home from a long trip and there was a very loud and troubling grinding sound coming from the wheel when I slowed down. Perhaps the sliver of metal there broke off while at highway speeds and only got in the way when things slowed down. I jacked up the wheel to check for obvious outside damage and rubbing. I honestly thought I'd find the tie rod rubbing on the wheel or something of that nature. I didn't see any obvious external damage so I drove home 30 miles. Eventually the noise actually stopped. So I figured I had a stone or something behind the heat shield and that it had worked itself loose. The next day the grinding returned so I tore the wheel down. Rotor looked good but worn, no broken brake pads and no rubbing sheild on the disk. So I pulled the caliper off and the grinding was still there. The bearing was tight. No play that I could feel. So I pulled it.. I cleaned all the grease out of the hub and off of the spindle and never did find the metal piece that is obviously missing. There was plenty of grease in the hub so I doubt it worked its way to the outer bearing. I'm sure its actually trapped inside the inner bearing. The spindle looks fine. The inner race is shot so I'll certainly replace that, there is a groove worn into it where the metals was rubbing. I'll likely go ahead and replace the outer bearing and race as. During the rotor/hub removal I managed to make 5 distinctive dings in the surface of the rotor.. so that'll get replaced as well. The brake lines look a little old.. so I'll probably replace those as well. Fortunately the calipers and pistons look to be in great shape so I can leave them alone..

I hate spending money without need. But I'll likely just go ahead and replace both bearings on both sides since I am going to take the right side apart to replace the rotor.

Man these 'While its apart I might as well dos...' certainly add up.

I'm not a certified mechanic, but I did stay at a HolidayInn Express last night.