View Single Post
Old 09-26-2004, 04:22 PM

E320 Asr Problem

I have a 95 E320 that is currently experiencing the typical ASR issue with codes that indicated the ETA is bad. The problem first occurred about 300 miles ago.....ASR light on at startup and limp home mode. Code 6 was read out. Waited till the next morning to take the car to my tech. On startup.......the problem was gone. Codes were still there, but no ASR light and no limp home.

Since then, the car has operated flawlessly..........for about two weeks and 300 miles. Then, when I started the car yesterday...........ASR lite is on and limp home mode. This time the system has not cleared itself as it did the first time.

From all the threads that I have researched, the issue appears to be the ETA. Unfortunately, we are talking about a $1700 part (according to my tech) and about 3 hours to install. I am trying to decide if the car is worth it....with 165,000 miles on it. I have had ALL the E320 issues........wiring harness (replaced)......leaking head gasket (did a valve job at 95K miles when we changed out the head gasket)..........and other electrical problems. But, I thought that was all behind me and that I could look forward to driving the car another 2 to 3 years.

So, here are my questions: Is there a more cost effective way to fix this item? Is $1700 accurate? If not, where would be a better place to souce the part? Could I use an ETA from a lower mileage wreck? And if so....what cars used the same ETA?

How difficult is the ETA replacement? I have a fair amount of experience working on these cars.......but the area around the intake manifold sure seems congested and hard to get to!

Any advice would be appreciated.

And, last but not least.........what if I replace the ETA and the problem returns? Has that happened to anyone who was diagnosed with a bad ETA?

Thanks in advance.

1989 Porsche Carrera Targa
1995 E320 Special Edition
2000 Lexus RX300
1988 190E 2.3