View Single Post
Old 10-04-2004, 03:59 AM
"Unhinged Troll" - Jim B.

While Vettes don't do (and haven't ever done) much for me personally, you have to look at the readers of the mag when you look at the decisions made.

A few things to consider:

a) they have to sell mags, so they need choices with the broadest appeal and that a large number of their readers will feel good about and agree with

b) your average US reader (the proverbial "Joe Sixpack" or Homer Simpson type) thinks that a Vette is the ultimate sports car in the world and that something like a 911 is no different than a Toyota or Honda. Meaning that the charms and inherent superiority of European cars (not to mention sporting/racing heritage) is 100% lost on this type of person. You can't argue with this type of person -- they became aware of Corvettes when they were 8 years old and loved them ever since -- and feel pride that the 350 in their Chevy pickup is essentially the same motor as that in many Vettes (historically).

c) as much as I hate to say it, Vettes have matured over time into decent cars. Yes they have their problems, and I wouldn't personally be caught dead in one, but they are fast, handle well, are not entirely ugly, and overall give great bang for the buck.

My two cents.
Cheers,
Gerry