View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004, 11:58 AM
'94 S500: only 793 sold!

Wow, that's some thread . . .

I just came across this and find it very interesting.

I know it's fixed *but* the CPS as you call it, is just a passive device (magnetic 'ampflier') that consists of wire around the magnet. As the flywheel magnet passes by a 'blip' of current is induced the coil which results in a small blip of voltage. As you know the car won't run without it.

If you measure resistance of the CPS, between the limits you mentioned, the device is GOOD!

Now it could be intermittant: that the coil of wire could short out (similar to the "yoke" on our old tube tvs - OR - the connection to the connector end is also intermittant. Then the car will give the symptoms you had.

The CPS MUST have a DC path through the coil, so if it was 'flexed' and 'pulled', it could break that path, thus killing the function of the CPS.

But are you SURE, that the new one measures INFINITE resistance??? Sorry, it can't! Maybe you would re-measure it, to satisfy me (thank you), and use a higher resistance range on the MM. It should measure in the range you mentioned; 680 - 1200 ohms, the center being 940 ohms. Most of the ones I've measured come out about 860 ohms.

Visit my Mercedes Web Page