Thread: My OTHER diesel
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2004, 02:05 AM
BioDiesel Hopeful

My buddy in Boulder has a very similar bus (I guess thats boulder for you)! Its been painted white and blue, and most of the midsection of the bus was cut off just below the windows and raised a few feet so it has a full height ceiling inside. They did it up like a recycled materials RV with granite countertops, hardwood floors, etc. Its running on SVO right now, and doing great at around 10,000 miles on waste oil. Its a real top notch piece of rumbling salvage.

We drove it out to Burning Man and back, and she did great. I was amazed at how much power and stability it had on mountain roads coming over the passes. We were passing gasser buses left and right. In fact, when we got to the desert, we found a Winnebago that had broken down, and we towed them in. Amazingly, the bus would tow the winny at idle, and you could actually just get out of the bus and walk along side it at 4ish MPH while it drove itself along, towing a loaded RV like it was made out of styrofoam.

What kind of retarder does that have? Ours has an electromagnetic driveline retarder, very smooth and controlled. Indispensable on mountain roads!

Burning Man had a wealth of nice buses, a few good articulated buses, a SWEET double decker (from london, right hand drive even), nice crowns, etc. At the end of the week we were even given 40 gallons of veggie oil by a group using it to power their diesel generators who didn't want to drag the leftover fuel back home.

Anyway, sorry for waxing nostalgic there, just seeing that imposing front-end I could almost hear the rumble and smell the distinctive smell of desert and diesel. Nice bus.

peace,
sam