View Single Post
Old 10-18-2004, 01:46 PM
SL Owner

concern/worry with that approach is...

On at least one instance, I believe but cannot prove that a shop intentionally damaged my car when I took it back-in angry like that. If you give them the car, you have to stay with it the entire time including watching while in the shop. Some of these folks (not the professional and intelligent ones-- many of them post right here on this site) will, out of a lack of maturity/ethics/etc, damage your car. It's human nature. It doesn't take much to cause someone trouble down the road. I'm quite paranoid as it relates to people touching these cars. If you have a trusted mechanic, then you're fine. If you don't, and worse-yet you have one that you have proven wrong, then my suggestion is to be very careful about having the car leave your sight. One time I heard a shop service writer threaten-- when a customer left-- to go by his house and be sure that the car never again have a trouble-free experience. The implication was that, at night, he'd sneak-up there and teach the guy a lesson. It's pretty amazing, remember some of these folks aren't always working with a full deck. It's one thing to get a refund-- if you deserve that, go ahead and watch your car at night ;-) It's another to give the car back to them and let them go at it again. If they botched it once, you can expect more of the same.