View Single Post
Old 10-19-2004, 04:07 PM

Oops!! – Switched to syn

Oops!! – Switched to syn (Amsoil) and ran 12,000 mi. adding about ½ qt. Every 1,000 mi. Changed filters twice during this cycle. Used engine flush, and then, very briefly ran some thin dino through before adding the syn. I run on some pretty dusty roads and just like to change more frequently so I’ve switched back to Delo on a 3-5,000 cycle.
Over the weekend I did the valves, installed the fast GP’s and put in rebuilt injectors (trying to beat what I’m told is a normal diesel rattle – that the nailing I thought I was hearing is supposedly much louder – still bothers me though as it only seems like it’s in one cylinder) and found three cam lobes with rough little lines in them. Service records indicate the cam was replaced with the new hardened cam 45,000 mi. ago, but no mention of the lifters. I have to conclude that some gook got broken loose with the flush and syn, plugged an oil way to the cam (and who knows what else internally) and caused the wear. Even with the groves the cam is bright, and the settings hadn’t changed over the year, but I don’t feel to good about it. Car runs great, so I won’t do anything but check it again in 4-6,000 mi.
Anyway, something to consider when switching to syn.
63 Bug sunroof
85 Jeep CJ7
86 Chevy 6.2l diesel PU

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."
Marcus Aurelius