View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 02:46 PM
Senior Benz fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm9298
Very good advice Doctor!!! After I first got the Fiat I was doing the sports car thing, going through a tight turn very fast. Oooops, lost the left lower ball joint half way through the curve!!! The wheel luckily folded under the frame and kept me from crushing the front end. It also tended to slow me down alot. The only thing that needed replacement, other than the ball joint, was the shock. I tore the entire front end out of that car and replaced every part!!! Ball joints, tie rods, center link, et al. Loosing control of the steering while driving is not a good feeling. Front end parts are less costly than a car.
Luckily you did not end up crossing over into oncoming traffic as a result.

I feel no slack at the wheel but I do from under the car and can see the play in the tie rod ends. So by the time you notice it in the wheel you are in danger of dropping something at any time. Besides alignments aren't cheap and you will be doing it after each time you replace something.

Think about that cost and suddenly doing everything at once doesn't seem so expensive.
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche