View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 10:59 PM
webwench

Question Crazy question -- my 300D shifts too smoothly!

Back on Oct 10, we did a valve adjustment on the 300D (only had to loosen up three valves, and yeah, I think the special wrenches are worth it), and on the test drive afterwards, I was amazed at the difference in the way the engine ran -- idled smoother, ran smoother, seemed to produce a bit more power. However, I noticed that I could barely feel the transmission shift at all, and the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts happened more closely together, and at a lower RPM, than usual. Only in a Mercedes would smooth shifts be noteworthy Then the car sat for about a week while I waited for some new injector return lines...

Today the lines came in, so I put them in, and also adjusted the bowden cable (took up a little slack), and took a drive. (Also cleaned that banjo bolt thing, and opened up my virgin ALDA and gave it about 1/2 turn CCW -- nice!) The transmission is now shifting at what I think are good points, but it still shifts unusually smoothly.

Could smooth shifting indicate a problem? I'm so used to a fairly harsh shift at the 1-2 shift that this smooth shifting seems abnormal.

Also, is there a way to clean that vacuum line that goes from the switchover valve on the firewall to the intake manifold/banjo bolt, or is it just an item you replace? Mine looks to have crap in it.