View Single Post
Old 10-21-2004, 10:29 AM

94 E420 Front Brake Squeal / ABS

I've been doing my own work on my cars (Mercedes and Volvo) for about 15 years now and have finally been stumped by what is usually a trivial issue.

I've replaced the front rotors (Balo) and pads (Textar from dealer) and used the dealer-supplied brake paste but I CANNOT keep these darn things from squealing! Furthermore, when I almost reach a complete stop, about 10% of the time I'll get the ABS activated, which is un-nerving. The ABS light has never come on, so I don't suspect an ABS fault. The tires (Michelin MXV4)have a decent amount of tread left, and this happens in both wet and dry conditions. WTF???

The pads on this car are from the dealer and are the type that come with two aluminum shims (ostensibly to address squealing). I've put a liberal amount of MB brake paste on the back of each pad, but to no avail.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking of pulling the pads again and putting paste between the back of the pad and the first shim, then more between the two shims and then slather even more on the back of the shim that is in contact with the caliper piston. The pads come out of the box with a small amount of paste between the pad and the first shim.

I'm at my wits' end on this. I need to sell this car before winter hits and the squealing and ABS are driving me nuts (a short drive most days )

Thanks!

Chris Blanchard
1994 E420 131k silver/black, FOR SALE $9500.
1992 300D 2.5 Turbo 170k
1991 300TE 4-matic 145k (sold)
1985 300D 185k (sold)
1984 300SD 190k (sold)