View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 10:30 AM
"The Wizard of Oz"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwthomas1
Thanks for all the info so far. The waterpump was new 1 year ago. The plastic tank is not cracked. The coolant is pushed out the overflow/boilover tube until the coolant level drops down to just below the seam in the plastic tank. No way the tank is leaking, it would be pretty obvious. This strange habit of puking up coolant until it gets down to the "normal" level is the most perplexing part of this. How exactly do I test for a blown/leaking headgasket to rule that out for sure? Why would there be coolant in the oil? Blowby to the combustion chamber? I would think there would more likely be evidence of combustion gases in the coolant? The car doesn't use any coolant once it has puked out enough to get down to the "normal" range. "Normal" for this car anyway. If the radiator is plugged wouldn't it heat up running hard down the highway? I will pull the radiator and have it flow tested. Thanks all, RT
RT,
If you have a head / head gasket problem where your coolant is being dumped, then the coolant will quickly change from green or orange to black.
This is due to the combustion gasses being released into the coolant.
Pretty easy to see.
Also check:
Cold engine pressure in rad hoses
Radiator pressure holding test (pump up and check for leaks).
Radiator core check (IR video camera is effective in this test)
Fan clutch check. (when temp is >90'C mech fan should "roar" as engine is revved)
Electric fan check. Should be running if temp is >95'C

Hopefully an inexpensive repair will eventiuate.
Best wishes,
Tony
Elizabeth '81 280E, sporting a '79 300D engine.
Lucille '87 W124 300D non-turbo 6 cylinder OM603, Pearl Grey with light grey interior

Various parts cars including 280E, 230C & 300D in various states of disassembly.