View Single Post
Old 10-24-2004, 05:11 PM

Talking not too hard

this is the first procedure i performed 2 years a go when i purchased my sdl (well other than all the filters).
was not too difficult as i can rember. the driver side is a snap and i would study and change out this one first. the passenger side is a bit harder to get at since you cant come at it from above.

this was all done on my gravel driveway ( just use 3/4 inch ply under all jack and stands)

my set up was:

put the front up on jack stands and position the jack under the oil pan.
to protect the oil pad i used a 2X10 the same length as the bottom of the pan and put carpet between the pan and the board.

you will also most importantly have to disconect the throttle rod at the bottom rear of the intake manifold. look undrneath where the thick rod from the firewall is inserted into a holder. remove the clip from the end of the thick rod and force the rod back and out.

the other preperation you will have to do is remove the fan shield/cowel. just pop the clips on top and pull the shield up and let it rest on the fan. you are going to have to push up about 3 4 inches total to remove and insert the fresh mounts.

if i recall you should first remove center screws from each of the mounts. these can be accesed from the bottom through the cross frame. these are the long ones and they have loc-tite on them so they take a bit of elbow grease to remove.

next remove the two bolts from the top that fix the mount to the cross member. this is the hardes part of the passenger side. you will now have to have the engine lifted up the furthest

the tricky part is the reinstallation of the two main bolts that are accessed from below. you have to line up the engine perfectly with the mount so the bolt will not be cross threaded. i had quite a time as i had no help so i would have to use a pry bar and some blocks of wood and shift the engine to where it needed to be.

you need to re-apply loc-tite to those two main bolts.

consider changing your engine mount shocks at this time also.

if you are experiencing bad shaking and the mounts have lived past their prime it may be that the shocks have also.

i bought just one shock. and it turned out that my driver side shock was bad
you can tell that they are bad if you can compress them with little effort.

what i did though was instal the new one on the passenger side and that that good one and put it on the drivers side so when it goes it would be easy to change out. yes that passenger side is a real PITA.

what a diffrence it made she ran smooth at idle from then on.

good luck
126.125 (OM603.961) (722.321 trans) (head#14)
Born on date 11/07/1986
2.5" Flowmaster Exhaust
flex-a-lite dual electric cooling fan conversion

now have a 1985 toyota diesel pickup