View Single Post
Old 10-24-2004, 07:25 PM

Well, I started my head rebuild job. Removed the old head and discovered quite a few cracks on the #4 and #5 cylinder, between the valves and the prechambers. Also, the valves were pretty rusted. Obviously, coolant has been geeting into this area for a long time, even though I immediately stopped driving at the first sign of coolant leakage. I've included some pictures below.

If you look close, will will notice some corrosion on the lip of the cylinder sleeve on the #4 and #5. I was wondering if anyone had some experience with this. Its looks like the head gasket was not affected in this area and I am hoping that this corrosion won't affect performance too bad. Before I removed the head the performance was great and no external leaks were visible.

I've shipped the head off to Metric Motors for an estimate. They sell new MB heads for $1700. With the costs of labor and new parts here and there, I expect the total repair to be about $3000. Ouch!

I am taking this time to also repair items on my list while the engine bay is more accessible. I've replaced the Aux Water Pump, a washer fluid motor, washer hose, and cleaned everything else. I have also removed the center console wood and began stripping off the old finish to restore it. It was badly cracked. I've included a picture after about 10 coats of stripper. I expect I will need another 10 coats to finish the job. That original finish is tough!! Does anyone know what stain to use for a good match. The rest of my wood is in excellent shape and appears to have a reddish tone. I was thinking that a cherry mixed with walnut might work. Anyway, I will post more pictures as I continue the restoration.

As a side note. I read Hatterasguy thread concerning the sale of his SDL. Oh no! He has been my hero ever since I bought mine several months ago. However, I will have spent $4000 in repairs/refurbishment since I bought my 300SDL. I am still committed its its restoration, but I suspect I may go down the same path if things don't get better. Outside of a new transmission, and paint, I've replaced about every critical part. With a new head, new valves, new lifters, new injectors, new glow plugs, and new fuel lines I hope to get some trouble free miles out of it. I am still shooting for a goal of 10 cents per mile. I now need to get 100,000 out of it. Still seems resonable (I think).

Hatterasguy - Stick in there!!

Hal Scripka
1987 300SDL 170,000
1984 190D 300,000
Attached Thumbnails
my turn for the OM603 cracked head syndrome-img_0158.jpg   my turn for the OM603 cracked head syndrome-img_0184.jpg   my turn for the OM603 cracked head syndrome-img_0182.jpg   my turn for the OM603 cracked head syndrome-img_0187.jpg   my turn for the OM603 cracked head syndrome-img_0199.jpg