View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 03:53 PM

1989 190E 2.6 cold start problem

Hi,
This one's driving me nuts. The problem has gradually become so bad that the car now will not start without jumpering the Idle Air Speed Control Valve.

I have removed and used solvent to clean the inside of the Idle Air Speed Control Valve. The air passage is now clean and shiny. If I apply 12Volts and look inside I can see (and hear) it opening and closing.

When I re-installed it the car started fine about three times. Now, in order to get it started I have to remove the air cleaner box and apply 12 Volts to the Idle Air Speed Control Valve terminals. After about 20 - 25 seconds I can remove the jumper and it stumbles it's way to warmth. Once warm, the engine runs fine and idles fine. It will restart with no problems when warm as well. The problem is only when it's cold (overnight).

I have these questions;

i) Is it possible for a Idle Air Speed Control Valve to respond to 12Volts but not to the engine systems?

ii) There are three sensors on the top of the 89 2.6 engine block. Starting from the front there's a two pole, blue-based sensor. Next there's a single pole sensor and right at the back there's a black plastic-based four pole sensor. If one of these is suspect, which one is it?? Is there a way to test if the sensor is defective??

All help appreciated. I have spent a ton of $$ getting the a/c R7R'd and really don't want to throw more $$ into the car if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Jim