View Single Post
Old 11-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Regular User

Thumbs up Progress report

Sure it comes apart easier, but everything has gone really well so far. Have removed front: calipers, discs, steering knuckle arms, brake master cylinder, tie-rods, steering damper and intermediate arm. I have also removed the booster to facilitate access to the steering box and cleanup of the accumulated muck in the fender corner. The booster removal was the toughest so far with restriced access to firewall bolts. There was about a pint of really nasty brake fluid suspended in the booster bottom.
Wish I had my digi-cam with me so I could post some pics for everyone, it is on loan.
The spring compressor arrived today too, but I think I will wait until next week to tackle that. My Saturday plans changed.

Of course, the toughest part is yet to come. I have yet to comprehend removing the steering box without losing steering center but will clean it up and stare at it for a while longer. I think it will be good to remove everything and reseal it, the left side of the front end is a smorgasborg of grease.

Thanks for the support everyone!
BTW psfred, Phil gave me a good deal on new upper control arms along with a bunch of other stuff.

previously-
73 280 SEL 4.5
86 300E 5 speed
2010 VW Jetta TDI M6