View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 09:57 PM

Well, I decided to dig this thread back up and revisit the problem which I still have. I really need to figure out how to diagnose and fix this thing. Due to the manner in which it usually stalls I'm either at an intersection or backing out of a parking lot. Neither are a good place to be sitting while trying to restart the engine.
Recently I tried to back out from the parking lot at work to go home. It quit aprox. 20 times. This is the worst it has ever been, and I thought I was going to have to leave it that day and get a ride with someone else. I managed to push the car back in a parking space, and keep trying to restart. Each time it would crank fine or with a minimal amount of cranking time, run for a little and then quit. I finally got it running consistently sitting there in park. So I put it in rev., and just sit there holding the brakes. Within a second or two it would die, everytime I tried it. So I kept doing this and I noticed something that I hadn't before. Just before it dies you can hear the faint sound of the fuel pump running differently. It (or something making a similar noise) gets slightly louder and intermittent, then the classic stalling of the engine.
I did this several times and it did the same each time. I'm not sure that what I'm hearing is the fuel pump, but I don't know what else it could be. It almost sounds like another motor comes on on top of the fuel pump sound.
Eventually it started and ran fine in gear or not, and I headed out for home. No problems all the way back home (10 miles).
I thought that this problem had gone away on it's own for the most part, and I would live with it stalling from time to time. The incident in the parking lot the other day has changed my mind.
One thing that's sort of funny is how I've learned to drive this car..... Right foot on the throttle, left on the brake, and one eye on the tach to watch for a drop in RPM when around intersections.
Also I plan my driving while in town so that when it quits I'm not on a busy road. What a way to drive.