View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 12:50 PM
Unbanned...?

For Sale: New prechamber removal tools

Hello all,

A friend of mine from the MBZ email list, the late Dr. Steven Foster, had worked on a project to duplicate the tools required to remove prechambers from MB diesel cylinder heads (OM61x, most OM60x). His machinist, Peter from Bend's Teul in CA, is the one who actually manufactured the tools. This project came about after Steve had borrowed my tools (made by Sir Tools, the ones you'd buy from Performance Products, Baum Tools, etc) and discovered they were very poorly manufactured - cheap offshore steel, poor heat treatment, sloppy machining, etc. The replicas made by Bend's Teul are 4340 heat-treated alloy steel, with zinc plating, and of course Made in USA. They are an order of magnitude higher quality than the cheap offshore junk, and the cost is about equal (or less!) than you'll pay elsewhere for the cheap stuff! There was only a small number produced, approximately a couple of dozen of each (ring tool, and hammer/extractor). When they're sold out, there will probably not be another production run, unless there is significant interest (translation- a couple dozen pre-orders!). So get 'em while they last. The fit, finish, and quality is second to none.

What They Work On:
There are two different tools. First is the lock ring removal tool, aka 'pin wrench'. This fits most all OM615/616/617 Mercedes diesel engines, and all OM601/602/603 with vertical injection - i.e., up to about 1989. (Later OM60x engines with inclined/angled injection use a splined ring that takes a different tool.) Second is the slide hammer and adapter. This is what's needed to extract the prechamber after the lock ring is removed. The slide hammer setup includes a threaded adapter that screws into the prechamber. This will work on even more engines, including OM611/612/613, OM615/616/617, OM601/602/603, and OM604/605/606.

Types Of Tools Available:
Steve and Peter designed a standard ring removal tool, similar to the Mercedes factory tool, and also a heavy-duty ring removal tool that allows extra leverage to break free frozen lock rings. There are only 4 of the HD tools available. Similarly, for the slide hammer there is a standard slide hammer with adapter, as well as a heavy-duty slide hammer with replaceable bronze bushings between the hammer and the center shaft. Finally, there are a few slide hammers bodies without the threaded adapter. They can be used with other industry standard tools (body dent pullers, etc) that require a slide hammer.

Pricing:
Ring Removal Tool (standard) - $85
Ring Removal Tool (heavy duty) - $100 (only 4 available)
Slide Hammer + Adapter (standard) - $65
Slide Hammer + Adapter (heavy duty) - $80
Slide Hammer Only (NO threaded prechamber adapter) - $25 (only 4 available)

Shipping will be approximately $15-$20 in the lower 48 states due to the weight of the tools. If you are outside the 48 states, please email for shipping quote and/or payment options. If you are interested in more than one item, inquire about a discount (for example, standard ring tool & slide hammer would be $140 + s&h).

How To Purchase:
Please don't email or PM me, I don't have the tools! Instead email Peter Czyl directly at Bend's Teul. His email address is: petercz@earthlink.net

Photos!
I attached one photo below. For more photos, and also the factory procedure on prechamber removal in PDF format, click this link:
http://www.w124performance.com/images/tools/

Check out my website photos, documents, and movies!

Last edited by gsxr; 10-19-2005 at 08:57 PM.