View Single Post
Old 11-06-2004, 11:29 PM

Max Timing Advance?

I had to retime my 300SD. The Injection Pump had been removed before I got it, and when I did my last timing adjustment I did it at closed throttle instead of full throttle, resulting in the timing being set too far back. Because the pump had been off, I wasn't able to move the pump far enough to get the required advance. Today I pulled the pump in order to get the advance I needed. For some reason it fought me every step of the way. I had the pump off 10 times in order to move the timing forward. Anyway, after more attempts than I had patience for, I ended up with my timing set at 31 degrees(recommended is 26 degrees), it was running at 12 degrees all summer, but didn't start well once the weather got cold. With the timing at 31 degrees, (and I'd have to pull the pump AGAIN to get it back any further) the engine starts and runs well. It rattles pretty good though. I am wondering what the advance limit on this engine is. My Dodge Cummins calls for 13.5 degrees, but you can run 18-19 before you start affecting head gasket life. I have run mine at 17 degrees for 40K miles now without a problem. Has anyone else run an extra 5-6 degrees on these before or am I asking for trouble? It does start nicely now... and I'd really like to leave it where it is.
Joe