View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 11:12 PM
say: Jook-Ur-Pah

long drive, then no start, then no problem again for months?!?

Q: A couple of months ago, I drove to/from D.C. in the '85. On the way home, after 10 hours of straight driving, i stopped for fuel. When I got back into the car, I went to start it, and the glow plug cycled properly, but as soon as I turned the key, all power died. Nothing- no dome light, no nothing.

I thought maybe neutral safety switch, so I tinkered with the shifter (auto). No difference. I rolled the car away from the pump into a parking spot, and popped the hood. Everything looked normal, and I checked the fuses and found them all normal. I went to the battery and jostled the cables a bit, then went and tried to start the car again. The power had returned, but did the same thing once I turned past the glow cycle. I again messed with the battery cables, cleaning them off and making sure the ground strap was clean and in good shape. This time, she turned over and I drove home. The problem has not repeated since, but I'm gearing up for a december trip to/from Pittsburgh, and I'd rather not get stranded in nowhere-land en-route.

So, one theory I had was that the windshield wash job I'd undertaken while pumping fuel had somehow deposited some wash-water into the engine bay that shorted a battery cable, but once I dried it off the short was gone... but other than that I got nothing...

Ideas? Thanks!
2005 Honda Element EX

www.djugurba.com
www.waldenwellness.com