View Single Post
Old 11-11-2004, 04:52 PM
Certified diesel nut

Dave,

At least on my car, when the key is first turned on, the alternator, brake pad warning light, and the brake warning light come on. I think the seat belt light's supposed to come on too, but a p/o disconnected that system on my car. Once the engine's started, the lights should go off (except the brake warning light if your parking brake's set)...although, on some cold days, the lights have stayed on with the engine running until I rev it...I think those lights go off when the alternator's putting out enough voltage, which may not be happening if the RPM's are that low.

What is the alternator putting out at a higher RPM than idle? I wouldn't call it likely, but the alt. may be putting out more juice at higher RPM's than at idle...especially if your idle may be set low (should be 750 RPM's IIRC).

Dumb question, but was the voltage regulator/brush assembly replaced along with the alternator, or was the old one re-used?

On the fuses, there's actually supposed to be a few blue fuses in there as well. I think that white is 8 amp, red 16 amp, and blue 25 amp, but the numbers may be off...but they definitely go in that order from weakest to strongest. Blue's for things like the blower motor. As for a diagram, I'm guessing that the fuse box cover's gone, or the printout contained therein is gone. I'm at school right now, but if no one's posted a diagram before I get home, I can scan in my printout...since my car's a different year, some things may be slightly different, but it should give you a place to start out from.

Hope that helps a little bit...good luck! BTW, hi! Didn't realize you had registered on here...