View Single Post
Old 11-12-2004, 02:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-townbenzoboy
Speaking of cornbread, I have noticed there are many different ways to make it. Some people just use cornbread or muffin mix, mix in an egg and some milk, and bake it. I've heard of and once prepared some cornbread with a little bit of sugar in it. Some even use SPOILED MILK!!! EWWWW.... Each to their own I guess.
Has anyone ever done this when eating cornbread, or "Johnny Cake" as my northern friends call it, put the cornbread in a glass or cup, pour some milk over it, and eat it with a spoon? It's pretty good, although I don't think it has a formal name to it.
-Joe
No, but in New England the home cooking crowd always substitutes real maple syrup for sugar in a recipe where ever possible, and Johnny Cake made with maple syrup or served with it as a topping is a totally different trip from your standard southern cornbread. Southerners don't know what they are missing when it comes to cooking with real maple syrup. For example, in New England, they broil Maine scallops, which are the big ones, after they have been soaked in maple syrup, and basted with it a couple of times as they broil. In Texas, they just butter the living **** out of them and broil em, maybe squirting a little lemon juice on them or something. The maple syrup scallops will knock your socks off, while I find the ones they serve here kind of bland. There was a resturant on the Galveston cruise pier called "Willie G's" that cooked them with maple syrup and I would drive forty miles just to eat there, but the last time I went, they had changed their menu and were serving them heart-attack style, in an inch of gooey butter. Guess I'll have to learn to cook my own.

Last edited by KirkVining; 11-12-2004 at 02:57 AM.