View Single Post
Old 11-17-2004, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilly
The vintage (blue) Alpine front looks good. "Promising" I'd even call it. Unless the rear end is as ugly as the newer (red) alpine, that looks like a Mitsubishi Eclipse with a speaker grill bolted on. Is the Alpine rear-engined? I've heard of an Alpine before, but I thought it was a British sportscar, as a matter of fact I'm sure there was a British sportcar called an Alpine, maybe a Triumph.....somehow related to the "Stag"?
The R5 is a Yugo with fender flares, about as appealing as a LeCar.
Got more pictures of the vintage Alpine?

Gilly
OK I just found this thread. sorry for the delay, blame it on the satellites (:

trying to attach a rear view of the Alpine A110. (1st time attachment for me... fingers crossed). On the whole I tend to agree with you about French cars... mobile armchairs; hard to think of a cooool one but I have always thought the A110 _looked_ good, don't think straight line performance was up to much with 1200cc. I believe it was a reasonably successful rally car (maybe with Gordini's help I'd imagine). I think the British Alpine you're thinking of is the Sunbeam Alpine; 4cyl version of the V8-engined Tiger (you may be familiar with the Maxwell Smart convertible). Oh, also just thought of the current Renault Clio V6 they look pretty cool, spiritual successor to the original R5 Turbo rollerskate pictured earlier (which IS a LeCar underneath btw). OK enough of the French stuff.

Don't recall seeing an Aston in there? Saw a DB2 in the flesh once. Don't look much in pictures but when face to face... what a prescence. Also NICE surprise to run down the top 100 and see my old tii at #20 FFFUN
cheese,G
Attached Thumbnails
top 100 coolest cars, #90 500E :-)-alpine3a.jpg