View Single Post
Old 11-18-2004, 01:39 AM

Exclamation 1987 300D T won't start (new wrinkle!)

Not wanting to overlook the obvious-- & since i had been trying to start with no success-- i called AAA to check the battery and hoped to have him check the wires for voltage as per suggestions.
He said that the battery was too low to start the car and the alternator was even worse. He attached jumper cables and after about 5 minutes the car started right up.
The device he was using also indicated that the alternator was back up to its proper level. He told me to run the car for 45 min to recharge.
I idled the car for 15 minutes then drove it for about 10 minutes. Then I let it idle in the driveway for another half hour. When i went out to shut it off, the ABS light was on again and also the light next to it that looks like this (i don't have an owners manual yet so i don't know what that is). I turned on the headlights and they were barely lit.
The people at MB roadside assistance said that 'as a car loses power the computer is designed to shut down non-essential systems in an attempt to conserve, so that may be why the ABS light came on'.
Should i just focus now on the alternator?

darkman
1987 300D Turbo 191,100