View Single Post
Old 11-21-2004, 06:09 PM
General Purpose Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litton
Windshield washer pump does not work.
Radio is completly dead.....acts like no power and the ant. doesn't move.
Cruise control is dead.
I appreciate any hints.
1. Really, really check the fuses. The interface between the aluminum of the MB fuses and the brass of the holders can corrode. Many people have performed electrical miracles on their SL's by just twisting the fuses back and forth a bit. I bought brass tipped fuses on eBay and replaced 'em all. Be careful because these are very trecherous to replace and you could burn yourself, even if you have the proper tool to do it. In my case, I disconnected the battery before I did it. Naturally, replace with correct values as shown on the label.

It might be worth the $10-15.00 and an hour of your time to replace ALL of the fuses with brass tipped ones before proceeding on any electrical problem.

2. On the windshield washer pump, I had several problems. Firstly, the pump really was dead (check that your ARE getting power to it) - but this is an extremely easy R/R. You should get the motor/bottle gaskets along with the pump when you replace it, or you will have a working pump with a leaky bottle.

The second and third problems were:

-A check valve from the reservoir to the hoses was leaky and would drain back fluid. This is fairly inexpensive to replace and very easy to accomplish.

- The fluid nozzles, particularly on "garage queens" or cars that don't get driven in the rain (like mine) tend to get clogged with dirt or wax. Obtain a very fine wire and run it through each nozzle (newer cars have dual nozzles on each unit). Do not use an oversize wire and try to force it into the nozzle.