View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004, 02:55 PM
BioDiesel Hopeful

Question 300TD windshield replacement uncertainty

My '82 300TD's windshield is pretty well damaged (beyond repair, big 14" crack) by an errant truck's gravel, and needs to be replaced. My comprehensive insurance at 100$ deductible will cover it (Progressive does not have separate glass coverage here in MO), but I've got a few questions that I haven't gotten good answers for from my search.

First, the seal around the windshield is leaking a little bit. Not gushing, but not perfect. In our last big rain storm I noticed a little moisture in the lower corners, and some goop in there (an unsuccessful attempt to fix the leak, apparently). Does this mean that the seal needs to be replaced as well? Do I need to buy and supply that part, or will the windshield company replace it if I let them know its bad?

Also, the shiny trim around the outside... Will that need to be replaced, or simply refitted? And again, is that something that the windshield company will do, or is it something I must do and provide?

Third, the leak... If I'm seeing water in the car, does that mean that there may be rust under that seal? Should I wait for a few nice clear days, have the windshield company remove the window and seal so I can clean it up and put on some POR15, and then have them come back the next day to install the new shield?

And finally, Safelite is the company Progressive uses for glass replacements. They seem pretty reputable, so should I just go with them? Or is it worth it to try to get a more specialized glass company to handle this replacement?

Thanks!
Sam

1982 300TD Astral Silver w/ 250k (BIO BNZ)
2001 Aprilia SR50 Corsa Red w/ 5.5k (>100 MPG)