View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 08:36 AM
"The Wizard of Oz"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Scripka
I put my engine back together and have driven for for about 50 miles. Boy was it hard to start at first, but now is running great. However, I am noticing water seepage between the head and the block. I fear I did not get the head bolts torqued correctly. I followed the 4 step procedure, but maybe some of my 90 degree turns were more like 80 degrees.

I was wondering if it is OK to apply another 10 degrees of turn on the bolts near the seepage location?
I find it unusual that you would have water seepage even if you failed to torque the head precisely. If you didn't do the torqueing yes, but even 60degrees , twice should be enough to stop the leak you describe.
Are you sure that the head, block and gasket were clean? It wouldn't take much to leave some grit there and suffer a leak.

I recommend pulling the head again and checking why you have the leak.
Elizabeth '81 280E, sporting a '79 300D engine.
Lucille '87 W124 300D non-turbo 6 cylinder OM603, Pearl Grey with light grey interior

Various parts cars including 280E, 230C & 300D in various states of disassembly.