View Single Post
Old 11-26-2004, 09:43 AM

Temperature Sensor

The dash temp sensor is supposed to tell you how cold/hot it is outside. This is just information for you, it isn't connected to the computer or anything other than the LCD.

The sensor is under the front bumper. It's about half the diameter of a pencil with a rounded end. To make this thing work correctly, you need to replace it and that means pull out the dash instrument panel (getting to that involves a lot of work).

Mine is 20 degrees off all the time. If it says 55, I know it's 75.

You can get an indoor-outdoor temp gizmus from JC Whitney or even Wallyworld for about $12, with a BIG display. Lots easier to hook up.

I have contempleted replacing the sensor on mine with the sensor on a cheapo version, being as microchips have come a looooong way since 1990 and this might work, but adding 20 degrees is even cheaper. I never needed to know the temperature outside to drive a car before this.

I still do not own a cellphone. But that's just me.

Looks like a nice car. Good luck with it. When you hit 250K Kms. (156,250 miles) the company will give you a neato badge for the grille: just fill out a form and take it to a dealer. Send it in and they will send you a nifty badge. You could get another at 500K and (gasp!) 1,000,000K.

The MBCA is a useful car aficionado's club and puts out the STAR magazine. I find the local South Florida MBCA chapter a lot of fun. Not too many of them actually wrench, unfortunately. It's worth the $45 a year, IMHO.

1990 300D 2.5 Turbo sedan 171K (Rudolf)
1985 300D Turbo TD Wagon 219K (Remuda)

"Time flies like and arrow, yet fruit flies like a banana"
---Marx (Groucho)