View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 08:41 AM

Why I drive an old Mercedes(long)

Hello,
Yesterday, in a thunderstorm on a three lane highway, I had a new Nissan Frontier PU do an amazing ballet act ahead of me at about 60mph. The driver had just passed me, I was at 50mph(the posted limit)or so in my W115 200 and could feel that there was a lot of water on the roadway.
He was visibly annoyed at me for *holding him up*, but about 200 yards down the road, the thing hydroplaned and hit two cars, then the median guardrail, flipped up and crashed back down on it's right side, slid along and finally flipped on to the roof, collapsing the screen pillars.
I had no time to think, I just avoided the carnage as best as I could WITHOUT hitting the brakes in a panic and made it through without a mark on my car, it did get a bit sideways, but stayed more or less pointed in the direction I needed it to go.
I did stop about half mile down from the mess.
The PU driver was seriously injured because he was not wearing his seat belt(mandatory here).
You would think that if the idiot was born and bred in the tropics, he would know that it is possible to hydroplane in rain around here without really trying too hard.
I made sure that the traffic cop investigating knew that he was way over the speed limit and showed no signs of slowing when the PU began sliding out of control.
I am amazed at the response and control that the W115 demonstrated, never thought that with the *slow* manual steering I would get out of that in one piece, but it did.
I have always thought that Mercedes are very good cars for average drivers and excellent cars for experienced drivers, this incident only reinforces my conviction