View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 09:07 PM
Coming back from burnout

Red face What did you find when you removed the rear seat?

Maybe a few of us here are buying these Diesels new, but I think most of us are buying them used. Some of us buy directly from the previous owner, but in many cases, we stumble upon them in auctions or junkyards. I mean that's where I found two of my Mercedes....
Inevitably there comes a day when you redo your rear shocks or put in new speakers and the Rear Seat gets removed and thats when you do the find the Time warp and trash dump that makes you say " Oh my gosh..someone else loved this car before me!!!"
The mountain of trash helps you relive the car's previous owners live's from day one and mile zero on its odometer...report cards, candy wrappers, hair doo-dads, and late homework....this guy obviously ahd several daughter's...
I once found an oil change stub from 1986 with the first owner's name and address on it. This was the 85 300D I had found abandoned in a junkyard with a salvage title 13 years later...The car was a real mess but mechanically it was fine and after a new paint job and engine rebuild I had her looking like brand new..
I always was tempted to look up the first owner and knock on his door.hen I found the oil change stub..I started wondering. Maybe some 30 year old lady would have answered my knock on the door. She would have glanced right past me and immediately recognized that Great Car with its great memories and been in tears looking at the car her Dad always picked her up after high school in..
Or else some one would've have answered the door with an impatient look and a busy tone and stared at the car briefly in boredom and given me a funny look and said. " Look...uhh, dont you have anything better to spend your time on?"
So I threw the Oil Change stub away.....